Wednesday, October 19, 2011

El Cantante

I wanted to share my latest rediscovered obsession. When this movie first came out, it wasn’t even an option not to buy it. I watched it on repeat, the same way I had done with many other movies resembling it. Then… life happens, new movies come out, and my love of ‘El cantante’ and the tragic story of Puerto Rican salsa singer Héctor Lavoe sat on the shelf collecting dust with my many other movies.
Last weekend my love was revived.

http://www.elcantante.net/

A friend and I had a typical lazy Sunday filled with snacks and movies. Randomly, this movie caught my eye and we popped it in.
I am not over exaggerating when I say this: I have watched it every single day since.
I guess I should confess. I have a slight lesbian crush on Jennifer Lopez J LOL - I always have. I just think she is stunningly beautiful!!! She is so amazing, and has accomplished SO much. My love started when I first seen her in Selena – another one of my all time favorite movies.
Marc Anthony plays Hector like no one else could. He is absolutely stellar. The combination of the two of these actors makes this movie hard to stop watching.
Hector’s life was extremely tragic. I won’t go into detail. You need to see this movie if you haven’t already.
Besides the fact that this is a true story, based on real events, and my favorite celebrity stars in it – The music alone is enough to make me watch. Marc Anthony’s renditions of the salsa classics are timeless. I’m actually thinking about purchasing the soundtrack: it’s that good.



If you couldn’t piece this together by now, I’m obsessed with the Latin world. I don’t know why, but I always have been, ever since I was younger. I minored in Spanish in college, and the only places I have ever really wanted to visit are all Spanish speaking. There is something about the language that puts my soul at ease, something about the food that satisfies me like nothing else, and something about the entire culture that makes me believe I was Latina in another lifetime – or I should have been born a Latina in this lifetime. It’s the one mistake I swear the universe made by accident.
I settle with listening to the music, eating the food, practicing the language with the resources I have available, and watching movies like ‘El cantante’ to keep my soul feeling fulfilled J


No comments: