Thursday, August 11, 2011

Dream Cream

This topic is SO frustrating to me!!
My skin is fairly dry… as in; I have to lotion when I get out of the shower and sometimes even when I wake up (depending). That being said, I am allllways scouring for a lotion that isn’t too thick and will make me look greasy but also isn’t so thin that I have to slather it on three times just to feel like my skin is hydrated. I hate that its such a hassle to find a lotion thats GOOD for your skin, and WORKS, and isn't a million dollars! For years while I was an avid tanner I SWORE by Gold Bond’s medicated lotion....
Now that I havent been tanning, I needed a new go-to lotion that I could rely on. For the past 6 months or so, I have been using Cetaphil. This has worked amazingly for me, and I didn’t put much thought into it until the other night I used a heavy night cream before bed…. 10 minutes later my face felt very dry... I thought this was odd, since it was such a heavy night cream. That sparked me to look at the ingredients in Cetaphil. I looked, and to my surprise Petroleum was the SECOND ingredient on the list! Now, I have heard that when you use anything Vaseline-ish/petroleum based it sort of ‘tricks’ your body into becoming dependent on it. From what I understand the petroleum allows your body to think it is getting enough moisture so it stops creating any itself. WOAH, right? This doesn’t sound like a lotion I want to continue using if that’s the case!
It works, and I really like it… but I don’t want to become dependent on this. I hate the feeling that I have to use something or else I can’t feel comfortable. Especially because I can’t put makeup on if my skin is all dry and flaky. Trust me, not a good look. So now, I think I need to start researching a good lotion that is a happy medium between heavy/greasy cream and lightweight moisturizer. In the meantime I’m going to start using my Lush dream cream (which I cannot STAND the smell of) and see if that works, I know some people swear by it. Added bonus? no petroleum J  I used it last night, and I didn’t feel the need to run and grab my cetaphil – a very good sign! My only concern with the dream cream is that it’s typically for your body… not your face, so I don’t know if it will break me out or not. I guess we’ll see!

2 comments:

showmewhoyourfriendsare said...

petroleum (such as vaseline) creates a waterproof barrier around your skin, trapping the natural moisture in. it does not "trick" your skin in any way, shape or form. but if you use petroleum every night and then you stop one night, your skin is obviously going to feel dry in the morning because you didn't moisturize the night before. it's that simple.

taylor said...

If that is the case, then another lotion should have worked,! I always moisturize. However, as stated - even a heavy night cream didn't do the trick. I wasn't trying to play dermatologist, I just don't want to become dependent on a product so I will try to avoid it unless my skin is feel particularly dry. Thank you for the breakdown of how petroleum works, though!