Thursday, February 24, 2011

ROOM

ROOM
By Emma Donohugh
One of the librarians recommended this book to me; she has referred several books to me that I have thoroughly enjoyed.


This book has got to be the most unusual book I have read to date. It is told through the eyes of a 5 year old boy, Jack. He lives in Room, a single room, with his mother. Room is all Jack has ever known. He sleeps, eats, and plays in Room.
The story is about Jack realizing that his mother is being held in Room against her will.
At first I found it hard to read. The language used is very childlike and when you begin reading it, you don’t quite grasp everything that is getting thrown at you. But don’t worry, keep reading. By the end of the book, you will completely understand the diction, and be annoyed with those who don’t!
Overall, I believe this is a somewhat dark and disturbing tale, but sporadically there are beautiful rays of love and hope. When I finished the book, of course I wanted more; I wanted to know the end of Jacks story. But I was not disappointed with the ending. Every story must have one, and looking back I think this one came at the right time (even if I wanted more).
I would recommend this to anyone who doesn’t mind a different type of story. Everything is not unicorns and rainbows in this book, but the gloomy elements set the stage for the brilliant foundations to shine through.
I felt this book encouraged carrying hope and a smile, even in the darkest of times. This book to me was about making the best of your situation no matter what it is, because God will always see you through.

No comments: