Thursday, February 17, 2011

Brrr. . .

With the weather warming up these last few days, I can’t help but notice that most people (myself included) seem to be in a better mood. Why is it that when the weather is crappy, we feel crappy, and vice versa?

I don’t know about all of you, but this winter has truly sucked for me. It's too long. I don’t know what it is about this year and the weather but I definitely noticed it bringing me down. I have no desire to do anything.
For example, I got an awesome new camera for Christmas this year. I love it. Every day (well, when I have free time) I think to myself “It would be awesome to go out and take some pictures today”, and then I think. . . “It’s freezing outside” and that idea quickly gets expunged.
I walk to work, well most days I walk to work J I have umpteen million cute shoes and outfits to wear, but do you think I wear them in the winter? Heck No! First of all, I refuse to wear heels in the snow (that should be obvious right?), secondly I refuse to carry my heels to “swap out” when I get to work because I don’t need anything extra to carry and if I did, my boots would be sitting in a puddle of wetness under my desk all gross. NO THANKS.  Also, at work I am close to a window. . . I get cold VERY easily; I am definitely one of those people who are always a few degrees colder than everyone else. Because of that, I HAVE to wear at least 2 layers or I am useless. I go into big baby mode and can’t function properly.  Problem there is, not a whooooole lot of cute outfits you can create when you have to bundle up like an Eskimo. I manage to pull some out of the hat, but let’s just say winter is my least favorite fashion season of the year J
Then there is the snow and ice caked on your car in the morning when you have to go to class. I refuse. I’ll sit in my car and wait for that bad boy to warm up and clean itself off. Call it lazy, call it a waste, I call it not freezing my butt off.
I hate winter.
People tell me I will miss it, if I move and it’s not there every year.
I don’t think so.
But I would miss this.
I can practically hear the leaves crunching underneath my feet, and feel the crisp, brisk autumn air.



And I would miss this. The new growth that gives us all hope that beautiful weather is soon to come, and the long rains that bring rainbows and clean, wet air.



I love the in-betweens.
They make me happy.
Being cold makes me unhappy.
I wonder sometimes if we like and dislike seasons based on past experiences, hobbies, or something else that’s rooted inside us.
What’s your favorite season? Why?

1 comment:

Ian Ranshaw said...

I Love Autumn as some may call it.(It even as a pretty name.) The coolness and the smell of fall turns something inside of me and makes me feel alive(which is a weird because its the season were everything dies and goes dormant)I Love them all in a special kind of way...winter being my least favorite.(But I do love having a fire in the fireplace in the winter)
I get excited just thinking about fall though...it just heightens all my senses