Saturday, February 26, 2011

Sorta like a Rockstar

Sorta Like a Rockstar by Matthew Quick



For me, this was a very fun book. Amber Appleton, is not your average teenager. She lives with her mom out of a yellow school bus (recently being homeless) and she hangs with the “outcasts” in school. She keeps her days busy with her random charity work, odd friends and her dog Bobby Big Boy (or BBB). Despite the curveballs Amber’s life has thrown her, she remains hopeful.
It took me a few chapters to get into this book but once I did, I hung on every word. I liked the layers. Amber is full of layers. She is one of those people who would give you the shirt off her back without thinking twice about how she would get another one. A giver. I also enjoyed her relationship with Jesus Christ or JC, as she calls him. She mentions in the book, how many people portray God to be the big bad wolf, shaking his finger at you for all your sins, ready to send you to hell. Her view of God is that he is a Rockstar, performing miracles by walking on water, healing the sick, and parting the seas. I like that. My God is a Rockstar, but so many of us forget that.
This book delivers the spunky story of a girl who is living her life, with JC on her side. With a little bit of faith, hope, and an open heart Amber learns how great God is and how far a little bit of love can go.

I would absolutely recommend this book to anyone looking for an upbeat, heartwarming story of getting let down and being picked back up. The younger crowd would enjoy this book because of the expressions and terminology used, but anyone would enjoy the story. . .
Surprisingly, I cried at the end of this book.

1 comment:

Emma said...

I really like your blog :) Following :)