Thursday, March 20, 2014

Little Bee



Little Bee
by Chris Cleave

I picked this book up around Christmas time. I was heading to check out at Barnes and Noble and it caught my eye. 

The back reads:

"We don't want to tell you too much about this book. It is a truly special story and we don't want to spoil it. Nevertheless, you need to know something, so we will just say this:
This is the story of two women. Their lives collide one fateful day, and one of them has to make a terrible choice, the kind of choice we hope you never have to face. Two years later, they meet again - the story starts there...
Once you have read it, you'll want to tell your friends about it. When you do, please don't tell them what happens either. The magic is in how the story unfolds."


Ok... you'd be curious too, right?
I guess Marketing got me on that one.

Regardless, I finally got around to reading it.

The book started slow, and at one point I considered putting it down for good. 

But curiosity again, got the best of me and I wanted to know what this damn book was about!!


I guess I won't divulge too much of the book - but I will say that it wasn't at all what I was expecting. This book made me chuckle, it pissed me off, it bored me, it excited me... it ran me through quite a few emotions over the duration of the read. 

I don't know if this book would be for everyone - and the ending isn't exactly "happy", but it was a different kind of story, and I can honestly say I've never read anything quite like it. 



Favorite Quotes:

"...the awesome ocean fastness was a splendor of ultramarine crested with crimson and gold where the burnished sun blazed on the wave tops and sent them crashing into the gloomy troughs deepening into a dark malevolent indigo."

"... he had been so slowly lost. First from my heart, then from my mind, and only finally from my life."

"This is what I am and this is how I will stay, as the shape-changing magic of dreams whispers back into the roar of the ocean."









No comments: