Tuesday, July 10, 2012

STiLL ALiCE







Still Alice
By Lisa Genova



                                                                      
I feel like I have said this too often about the past few books I have read, but it’s true:
This book took a while for me to get into.
 
That being said, it was more than worth it.
This book was amazing. I would recommend it to anyone.
It’s about a 50 year old woman named Alice who is a cognitive psychology professor at Harvard, an expert in linguistics, mother of three grown children and the wife of a man as successful as she is. In the book, Alice gets diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer’s disease.

It is the story of her battle.
I may have been a bit objective, because this is a disease that is close to me. My great-grandmother had Alzheimer’s, and – I couldn’t help but read this book and think of my grandmother, my mother – the people who witnessed her dementia and were most affected by it. It made me consider the possibilities that any of us could house the genetic material that may one day take away our memories… hence our entire lives.

I want you to read this book.
I think everyone should.
It is just another beautiful testimony of how short and precious our lives are - To live for today, because tomorrow is never promised - To remember to make time for the important things in life, family and friends, love and laughter.

I will warn you: I got a bit teary eyed… more than once.
This book is heartbreaking and beautiful.




Quotes:
“He kissed her, and although desperate to leave, he lingered in that kiss for an almost imperceptible moment. If she didn’t know him better, she might’ve romanticized his kiss.”
“She spotted her running shoes on the floor next to the back door. A run would make her feel better. That was what she needed.”
“With her hands high on his back, she pressed her face against his chest and breathed him in. She wanted to say more to him, about what he meant to her, but she couldn’t find the words. He held her a little tighter. He knew.”
“The late afternoon sun cast strange, Tim Burton shadows that slithered and undulated across the floor and up the walls.”
“"In case I forget, know that I love you”
“I love you too, Mom"”

“My yesterdays are disappearing and my tomorrows are uncertain, so what do I live for? I live for today. I live in the moment.”

No comments: