Thursday, July 31, 2014

If you come to Utila...

It's crazy I am just now able to share this!!!
Better late than never though :)
Babes and I went on a 10 day trip to Honduras the first week in July.

It was crazy and fun and relaxing all at once.

We flew in late on Saturday and stayed at La Hamaca, so the next morning we got up early and went to breakfast with some locals - who dropped us off with our guide at the base of the mountain.

We hiked and hitchhiked pickup trucks into Cusuco National Park, all the way up the mountain and into the jungle. Once at the top of the mountain, we stopped at a village in a hut owned by a family who ran a coffee plantation. It was very small - but the coffee was the best I'd ever had.

We proceeded to hike to the Toucan Waterfall, but it was late - so we ended up getting to the waterfall at 10pm when it was too dark for pictures. The waterfall was huge and magnificent, you could feel the power being so close to it. After we rested for 30 mins or so, we hiked 2 hours back in the dark... in the jungle.

That was a wild experience. lol

 We stayed at the hut where we were offered coffee. We couldn't remember her name but it was something along the lines of Dona Maria. The next morning, we hitchhiked again to head down the mountain. We didn't walk as much on the way down as we did on the way up, and once we made it back to our hostel and grabbed our things - we hopped in a cab to the bus station to make our way for La Ceiba.

The bus ride was great. We used Hedman Alas, and they gave us a drink and snack, it was air conditioned (a little too cold for my taste lol) and had large comfy seats. It was a 3 hour ride and we were in La Ceiba. We got a cab to our hostel El Estadio, which was a neat little place ran by a Rastafarian dude. We were able to walk into the market and grab some snacks - it was a very busy little area where no one paid attention to road rules!

We had a few extra days where we didn't make plans to allow for any travel changes/spontaneous adventures - but were getting anxious to get to the island, so the next morning we took the earliest ferry to Utila.

We didn't know this at the time but the Ferry's nickname is the "Vomit Comet" <-- gross.

I can see why. It was ROUGH. I took one motion sickness pill, because I heard it was a rough ride - but I'm normally not affected by stuff like that so I didn't think it would be a big deal. I wish I'd had taken two pills that morning - I didn't get sick, but I definitely felt like shit, and couldn't WAIT for that ride to be over!!!

We made it to the island and the Dive shop we stayed at got us started early. Babes went diving that same day, and I started my Open Water Course.

The rest of the vacation was full of scuba diving, sunshine, hammocks, drinking, eating, sleeping, scuba diving, taking shots for free t-shirts, swimming, and more scuba diving. lol

Monday we took the 6am ferry, caught a bus, and made our flight back to the good ol' USofA.

We stayed with Grandma and after breakfast on Tuesday she took us back to the airport where we made our final flight.

As always, the end of vacations are so bittersweet.

I will have to share photos with you later :)

No comments: